Description

Join me on my adventures as I try to live a healthier, more relaxed and more spiritual life. In this blog, I narrate my attempts my to do this using healthy recipes, talk about growing my own vegetables, and how I alleviate stress through quilting and positive affirmations. I also talk about those people around me (my family and friends) who make me the person I am.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A New Goal

For the last few weeks, I've been embarking on a journey of working toward good health.  Although I have thus far been pretty successful, the whole thing lacks a hook.  What I mean is that there is nothing there to inspire me to keep going to the gym, and not open that bag of Doritos.  Although the thought of being a few sizes smaller and a whole lot healthier are appealing, it's not enough.  I want to feel as though I am working towards something specific.

Last August I dislocated my kneecap.  Because of this, I had to wear an immobilizing brace for six weeks, and then take part in several more weeks worth of physical therapy.  Since then, I've devoted a lot of time to focusing on exercises that will strengthen the muscles surrounding the kneecap and holding it in place.  This has made me interested in running.

A few days ago, I read an old article online about a woman who had been 330 pounds and decided to start training to run marathons.  According to http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0675/is_2_17/ai_54286950/, she was able to ultimately run a marathon.  If she can do it, so can I.  Although I know that I have to be very careful not to do damage to the knee, my thought is that I can slowly and carefully train to one day (within the next ten years) run in the Boston Marathon.  I know to some this may sound like a foolish, unattainable thing, (I know that some of the people around me could not help laughing when I told them this idea), but it gives me something to work towards. 

Let me say that I have fully thought this out.  I have given myself a ten year deadline because I know that it will take me at least two-three years to get my knee and the rest of my body into the shape it would need to be in before I'm able to even start training on the running part.  This will help to give me the motivation and focus I need to continue with my healthy living goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment